mtremper May 22, 2007

I sent a post which started a chain of messages about scare stories of mercury in CFLs. . I would guess that a majority of homes in America have had fluorescent lights in them for years, either in the form of the ever popular long tubes in kitchens and workshops, or circline bulbs in ceiling fixtures and the smaller tubes under kitchen cabinets. I don't recall seeing much about the dangers from breaking these bulbs even though they are larger than CFLs and thus presumably contain more mercury. What may have caused this apparent sudden spurt of concern over the potential toxic problems of fluorescents?